Sunday, March 21, 2021

Why does that creature exist?

 One of the more controversial decisions Gary Gygax made in D&D was what later commentators called "Gygaxian naturalism".  This refers to portraying monsters as members of an entire species that naturally exists.  This isn't always bad, but there are alternatives.  Other people with blogs have spent a great deal of time discussing this subject already, so I decided to just make a table including all the possibilities I can think of for alternative creature origin.

Comment if you think of any more to add to the list.  One obvious possibility is aliens, but I left that out since I never include them in my games.


D8/D6: Why does that creature exist?






No comments:

Post a Comment

An exercise in taking ability scores literally

Many games use 3d6 to decide character stats. Zedeck Siew posted an interesting discussion regarding how to interpret ability scores.  Thi...